KARMI has undertaken a various initiatives on health in a strategic manner. KARMI has initiated its support services in the area of Health. The focus is on community led health initiatives especially covering social determinants on health. KARMI’s approach on Health Initiatives Working with communities over the one decade and living with them through their growth process has provided KARMI with a better understanding of what these organizations require. KARMI had implemented health project with support of MISERIOR to fulfill the health need of the people in M.Rampur and Golamunda Blocks of Kalahandi district where are very much interior and there is no health facility. Medical care is considered an important support service, not in reverse but based on experience of barefoot build up health managers through appropriate training programs. As a result, KARMI has been able to mobilize the rural people especially the tribal people women and children on community health. Apart, proper execution of Govt. health programme, kitchen gardening with the small and marginal farmers, popularize the herbal medicine, the SHG members, Youth club and women organization members and the workers of health department with the barefoot health manager, health coordinator and TBA are the main motivator of the project. During the reporting year all the programs have been implemented as per project plan and objectives that has helped the community to strengthen in their health seeking behaviour. The blind believes and superstitions becoming away and accessing Governmental health programme. KARMI has been able to mobilize to the rural poor especially the tribal people, woman and children on community health.
KARMI undertake the Health programme to create awareness on community health and preventive majors through mobilizing the rural poors especially the tribal people, woman and children. KARMI given special emphasis on improvement the health condition of the people by executing of Govt. health programme through organize health camps, immunization camps and promotion of kitchen gardening by supporting small and marginal farmers. KARMI has also been implementing the project with support of MISERIOR to fulfilling the health need of the people of Golamunda and M.Rampur blocks of Kalahandi by awarenesss generation and providing immidiate health services to the needy through trained up local youths through on community health management and posted in the inaccessible pockets with first aid box and minimum medicines. Training bare foot Health Managers are also able to enrich the health services to the target people and they are continuously organizing village health awareness camps, Village health sensitization camps/Health digenesis camps for promotion of community health.
Community Health Management
Considering the importance of village health workers, the organization has imparted capacity building training among village health workers to change in the Knowledge, Attitude & Practice of the community. At present the village health workers act as village level health promoters. Their training has helped in bringing changes in the health profile of the community and demand generation for health care services. Moreover, in order to bring about the change the organization has used community spaces like Panchayats, SHGs, and Youth clubs, Schools etc. to spread awareness on existing health systems of the regions.
The operational area of KARMI is dominated by the tribal scheduled caste and other backward people and there are about 50% are illiterate and for from the awareness on health and sanitation and hygiene is extremely poor. Disease like dysentery, Diarrhea and Malaria are common malnutrition among the children is one of the major concerns. Health Awareness meetings are organizing in each villages for better undertaken of health problems, its hazards and precautionary methods for improve the health and hygine of the target people.
Training of Barefoot Health Managers
The local educated youths has been tarined as barefoot managers are trained and posted in the interior and inaccessible area for looking after the health care of the target people to provide maximum health severs at the time of need in their door steps. They are also acts as a friend, philosopher, and guide to the rural people in health problems as well as other social and cultural problems. They works with the people with their general health knowledge with their health kit and first Aid which is generally acceptable by the people. In the trainings we provides necessary training and guidance to the barefoot health workers on promotion of community health, preventive methods of diseases and popularization of Aurvedic medicine. Reproductive and child health, safe mother hood also was the major components of the trainings as well pre and post natal care, use of TABS and delivery kits, popularization of ORS, use of contractive and idea on common disease were the important part of the trainings.
The dirty and unhealthy sanitary condition of the villages are the primary elements of creation of different diseases . So KARMI given importance on sanitation of village by village sanitation programme. The Village Health Committees play a predominant role to organize the who village and all the people of the village took part in the camp and clean all the commonplaces like ponds, road, temple side, school, and the village community hall. The impact of the camp was very much in the neighbor villages and encourasd and do such type of sanitation work and have a good impact to the community on programme and spread to other villages.
Considering the problems of inaccessibility and away form hospitality, KARMI organized health Check up Camps in the inaccessable pockets. By this camps, the health workers and village animators, members of Health Committees also mobilize on sanitation and community health management .The doctors also guide the peasants and the community on community health management and preventive methods of the diseases. By this health camp the people of a specific patches got the opportunity to attained to the camps for check up, and doctor form Govt medical or private doctor are invited to the camps for mobilizing the people, provide necessary information on popularization of Govt. programme.
The main programme of the Govt. undertaken presently are.
- Total sanitation programme
- HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention programme
- Integrated child development service(ICDS)
- National T.B. control programme
- National Malaria irradiation programme
- National Malaria predication programme
- National leprosy programme
- Janani surakhya and awareness on ambulance services.
Kitchen Gardening :
KARMI provided training to the small and marginal farmers and trained them on vegetable cultivation. The small and marginal farmers getting training on vegetable cultivation where AOs and VLWs attained and provid necessary technical know how with indigenous method to produce sufficient vegetable for the people of the locality. The kitchen gardening programme is the only process of way to over come the mal-nuitrious problem of the target people especially the children and women. Considering this KARMI starting the kitchen gardening programme and undertake to develop the nursery, provide seeds to the small farmers, the tribal and rural target people to start kitchen gardening in their backyard or if necessary develop it in a massive way so it can be help them to provide sufficient nutrious food to their family and also able to provide financial support to the family one way and create a opportunity to get sufficient vegetable in the local market with a cheap rate. By this programme the farmers develop the technical know how with indigenous method of vegetable cultivation and revolution took on vegetable cultivation. 1204 small and marginal farmers from 8 GPs has provided seeds, manure, pesticide and technical support by KARMI and started vegetable cultivation which will directly help to check malnutrition.
ACHIEVEMENT OF THE HEALTH PROGRAMME
- Impart training and developed their skills and information basis, So that they are able to directly intervene in the improvement of health status.
- Create opportunity to participate the people in Govt. health programmers as workshop camps , village sanitation and total sanitation campaigns, and immunization .
- The regular conducting of awareness camp, workshop on health issues, and training build up confidence among the local people to take care of their health.
- Coverage of health care services (preventive and creative aspect) improved and existing facilities in case of women and children.
- Time tested and effective traditional health care practices were popularized and Medical plants and herbs are protected and use of herbal medicine has been increased.
- Nutritational status of mother and children’s improve due to awareness and kitchen garden programmers and Immunization and pre natal and post natal care service has been raised.
- In this programme we covered 130,000 people of 102 villages in 38 G.Ps of Golamunda and M.Rampur blocks on the community health management and involved them with the health programme of KARMI.
- In last three years KARMI organised 164 no of village health awareness meetings which is covered more than twice in a village in a month and able ot increase health consciousness among the target people.
- KARMI organized village sanitation programme to make the environment clean and conducted 72 no of village sanitation camps where 2326 people, women Organizations and youth clubs members have been participated.
- 32 immunization camps organized where 833 beneficiaries i.e. women and children has been immunized.
- In 43 health camps 9963 patients has been taken health check up and providing necessary medicine free of cost and 1106 referral service provided by the doctors.
- 236 farmers has been provided the training and inputs for vegetable cultivation and the production of vegetable production increased by 24% as compared to the previous year.
- 98% of the children and pregnant women involved in immunization programme in the project area and immunised.